There is not much left of what could remind of the past importance of Stubentor. Erected as a part of Vienna’s first city wall in the 13th century, Stubentor was one of the main gates to Vienna and – after numerous rebuilds – played a crucial role in defending the city when it was besieged by the Turks in 1683. In 1791, Wolfang Amadeus Mozart’s funeral procession passed the gate on its way to the St. Marx cemetery, although most people didn’t go beyond Stubentor and only few accompanied the coffin of the famous composer to his grave. Nowadays, Stubentor is a both a traffic hub, with underground, tramway, bus-lines and the highly-frequented Ringstraße meeting, and a busy square with Café Prückel, Stadtpark, the modern museum MAK and Cabaret Simpl in the immediate vicinity. The historic Stubentor was – like the rest of the city wall – torn down around 1860 to give space to the Ringstraße circular road. Remains of the stone building can be seen at the entrance to the underground station “Stubentor”.