The Austrian branch of Steinway & Sons piano manufacturing company has – in contrast to its New York based headquarters – a quite short history. It was in 1997 that the renowned piano manufacturer opened the Steinway-Haus in Vienna’s first district, situated in the posh area of Ringstraße with the State Opera, the Albertina Museum and the Hofburg just around the corner. The handcrafted pianos and grand pianos exposed in the Steinway-Haus are both for sale (expect a price range from several thousand to several ten thousand euros) and for rent, with some of them being used in classic Viennese concert halls like Konzerthaus. Steinway & Sons was founded in New York in 1853 by Henry E. Steinway and his two sons and developed into one of the leading piano manufacturing companies within the 19th century. Due to superior quality and clever marketing, Steinway – now merged with The Selmer Company – still enjoys a great reputation and its grand pianos are played by the world’s leading pianists and orchestras.