Ringstraße is a one-way-road leading ringlike around the Inner City of Vienna. On its 5.2 kilometres Ringstraße is lined with several of the most famous historic buildings and sights of the city, such as the State Opera, the Parliament, the Town Hall, the Imperial Palace, the University and several museums. The majority of the buildings along the road were erected between 1860 and 1870 and coined the term of Ringstraßen style architecture, which is a variety of Historism. Starting from the 13th century the Inner City was encircled by a fortification wall and on its outside a 500-meter-broad glacis slope. In 1857 the fortification was razed and the growing outer districts suburbanised. In between, though, there was still enough space left to build prestigious palaces, establish green spaces like Stadtpark, Volksgarten or Rathauspark close to the center and construct the almost circular Ringstraße, which was inaugurated by Emperor Franz Josef on May 1st 1865. Each part of the road has a different name. The term Schottenring derives from a close-by monastery which was founded in 1155 by Irish monks who were called Scots, following the latin “Scotia Major” for Ireland.