Rinderhalle St. Marx
It was in the middle of the 1990s when the last cattle was slaughtered in the Rinderhalle St. Marx. Until then the 175 meter long hall that comprises an area of 20.000 square meters was the main building of Vienna’s Central Slaughter Cattle Market. Erected between 1879 and 1881 and inaugurated by Emperor Franz Josef the listed Rinderhalle is the town’s first wrought-iron-structure and was planned by architect Rudolf Frey, who received praise for the revolutionary lightness of the huge brick-and-iron-construction and was responsible for the whole abattoir complex. Nowadays the butchers have disappeared from the St. Marx area (the name derives from Saint Markus and is not connected to philosopher Karl Marx) which is intended to become a hotspot for biotechnological research. After some refurbishment works in recent years the Cattle Hall is still unused but subject of ongoing talks in Vienna’s townhall. The proposals range from further biotechnology laboratories to an exhibition hall or even a combination of both.