Rathauspark is a surprisingly calm oasis of recreation surrounded by some of Vienna’s most popular historic buildings such as the eponymous Town Hall, the University, the Burgtheater and the Parliament. In the middle of all the lively and touristy huste and bustle, Rathauspark still provides a bit of separation through its big, shady trees that hardly allow a look on what goes on outside the park. Its 40,000 square meters are divided into two symmetrical parts by the busy Rathausplatz, a place for huge events such as the main fan zone during the EURO 2008 football championship, the annual Life Ball and the pre-Christmas Christkindlmarkt. Each of the two halves of Rathauspark has its own fountain and numerous memorials of Austrian artists and politicians. The park was designed by gardener Rudolf Siebeck (who also designed the Stadtpark) on a former parade-ground just outside of Vienna’s fortification wall. It opened to the public on July 14, 1873, the day when the foundation stone for the erection of the neo-gothic Town Hall was laid.