Five floors with 28 cells on each level confining up to 250 mentally ill persons – that is what the fortification-like rotunda was built for. Constructed in 1784 under the rule of the Emperor Josef II, planned by Isidor Canevale, his architect at court, the tower became the first psychiatric institution in Europe. Although the medical attendance was far away from today’s standards for mental asylums, the founding of the institution was at least a step in the direction of taking care instead of simply locking away. Nonetheless the narrow premises resemble prison cells circularly arranged around the nerve center. The only windows to the world are small slits in massive walls. Shut down in 1866 Narrenturm (which can be translated as Tower of Fools) now houses the Federal Pathologic-anatomical Museum where bodily parts and their clinical picture are described and exposed in test tubes. The building is located in an outer court of the former general hospital which is nowaday’s university campus. Conterminous to the idyllic public green with relaxing students and playing kids the Narrenturm leaves a queasy feeling as a relict of an other time.