With a height of about 70 metres the four Gasometer towers are visible from afar. Although they are a bit out of Vienna’s centre in the 11th district, the sight attracts numerous tourists nowadays, and especially those who have an interest in architecture. The cylindric towers were built from 1896 to 1899 and have served as huge gas tanks – each capable of holding 90,000 cubic metres of gas – for more than 80 years. With natural gas becoming more and more important, the Gasometer towers became useless and were closed in 1984. The closedown marked the beginning of a long discussion about the future utilization of the buildings. During the following years the towers have seen Gazometer raves happening, exhibitions taking place and even the shooting of some sequences of the James Bond movie „The Living Daylights“. In 2001, however, revitalization was finished. Each tower was designed by another architect (Jean Nouvel, Coop Himmelb(l)au, Manfred Wehdorn, Wilhelm Holzbauer). With the exception of tower B – where a shield-like building was added – the towers kept their old facade, whereas the interior is completely new. Apart from flats, the Gasometer towers now feature a concert hall, a cinema, a shopping mall and a students’ dormitory.