Lonesome guitar players, amorous couples, groups of teenagers – Burggarten with its small duck pond, shady trees and well-kept lawn is a popular place to hang out on sunny afternoons. Be it students coming out of the National Library or tourists exhausted from the visit of Hofburg Palace or the Albertina Museum, Burggarten is a welcome space to recreate from one’s Inner City duties. The park lies in the very center of Vienna, with Ringstraße, the huge Art-Nouveau glass house Palmenhaus and the newest parts of Hofburg adjoining directly. In the 1820s Burggarten was established by court architect Ludwig von Remy and court gardener Franz Antoine Senior, with the help of Emperor Franz II himself, who was a trained gardener as well. The park remained the Emperor’s private garden for a century until it was opened to the public after the decline of the monarchy in 1919. Like in most Viennese parks, the heavy wrought-iron gates of Burggarten get closed in the evening.