Belvedere is a baroque ensemble of two castles and a large park located between Vienna’s city center and the main train station. It was constructed around 1720 by architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt for Prince Eugene of Savoy, who used it as his summer residence. In recent history most Austrians connect Belvedere with the signing of the Austrian State Treaty of 1955, that re-established Austria as an independent and sovereign state after World War II. Thousands of people cheered and celebrated in the Belvedere park when the heads of state came out of Upper Belvedere castle and announced the signing. Today Schloss Belvedere houses a renowned arts museum and owns the largest collection of Gustav Klimt paintings in the world.