The oldest baroque garden in Vienna is 52 hectares big and lies in the second district Leopoldstadt. The former meadow (“Au” in German) served as an imperial hunting ground and gardens before it was opened for the public in 1775. Along gravel paths various alleys lead through Augarten that offers besides beautifully-to-look-at gardens enough green space to chill, have a picnic or do sports. Most striking are the two Flaktürme (concrete bunkers – built during the German Reich – to protect from and fight bombers) that overtower the pleasant scenery. Since a blasting operation has failed in the 1960’s (the cracks can be seen on one tower, yet it proved to be indestructible), the grey colossi are left there as reminders of World War II. Nowadays cultural life has returned to the site, where once some famous morning concerts by Mozart took place. Classy institutions like Vienna’s boy’s choir or the porcelain manufacture can be found next to younger ones like the exhibition space for contemporary art Augarten Contemporary, the venue Bunkerei or the Filmarchiv Austria with an open air cinema during summer.